Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Koh Lanta Yai ... Peace, Serenity, Solitude

























































Meditation, Spa and Yoga Retreat at Pimalai .... heaven, simply heaven!
One of the joys of traveling in off season is that deals are to be had everywhere for
the most amazing hotels and Pimalai qualifies. I am paying a fraction of their normal
rates and even though it is the rainy "Green Season" as it is called here, I have only experienced a few hours of rain scattered over the weeks. The hotel staff seem to keep the mosquitos at bay as well :)
Dengue Fever is still an issue in Thailand, so need to take care in that regard.
All the exercise, peaceful quiet, and fresh clean ocean air and hmmm, oh yes, :) massages,
that I can possibly absorb here in Koh Lanta Yai, lovely island in the Andaman Sea,
before I head back to noise, pollution & 8 million people in Hanoi, Veitnam......site of my next volunteer posting!
Despite concerns about the pollution, I am absolutely looking forward to working with children again and being part of a volunteer community. The tourist life is great fun, but I yearn to look beyond the historical factions, facades, attractions, distractions, to discover the culture of a country, on a deeper level. One gets a more nuanced experience through volunteerism. I am just amazed that I never looked into this years ago. I am wishing I had booked far more volunteer weeks than I did and actually, am looking into that currently with a few organizations and may change my itinerary accordingly. Perhaps in the future, given my disposition towards noise and pollution, I would be wise to search out volunteer posts in quiet rural settings............
If I have learned anything at all about myself, it is that large cities and I get along just fine for a week or so, in fact, at times it can be quite thrilling ........ but after that week, I am normally searching out, a way out!

A few scenes in an around Koh Lanta:
O beach near my hotel
O I am in a predominantly Muslim/Thai part in Koh Lanta, Krabi Province in general
hence lots of ladies, young and old dressed with head coverings, including a young
girl playing soccer on the beach. Felt quite comfortable and safe wandering the streets ..
O A very very handsome young Thai playing hacky sack on beach .... couldn't resist
capturing his captivating smile :)
O Animal Wheel at front of hotel
O Children at the Sea Gypsy Village
O My breakfast table and view at Pimalai :)
O Pimalai Sunset
O A day at the spa .... ginger tea after a heavenly massage
O My masseuse, Pam in spa gardens
O Various scenes from the hillside area






























































































































































1 comment:

  1. Pimalai Resort and Spa is a beautiful hotel. If you looking for some hotel at Lanta,this is the place.

    ReplyDelete