Saturday, June 19, 2010

The hearts of the little ones .... Kia Orana

The gentle sounds of the surf and Randy Rooster's incessant bragging, continue to be the defining sounds of my mornings. They have both worked their way into my consciousness and will linger long after I have left this island in the sun ..... oh, the many sights and sounds that are now part and parcel of my days ..... barefoot children at school; they never wear shoes, not even when playing soccer!! .... mothers and fathers, driving with tiny tots behind them on motor bikes, no helmets in sight, ever!..... sometimes the tiniest ones are cinched with a sarong around both to stop the child from slipping off :) Astonished as I was the first time I saw this sight, it is now common and I think nothing of it ..... strange how we adapt. There is a law on the island, as I discovered that if you go over 40 km an hour, a helmet must be worn, but 40 and under, nope! I know many are waiting for picture postings ..... I will try to get to those on Monday, as the only internet cafe I have found that can handle this, is closed for the weekend. The weeks have passed by quickly and I have had little time with computers other than to check email quickly for any important family news and again, sorry for not replying to those either....my time on the computer seems to often be taken up just reading messages and deleting.....next week, I shall have more leisure time to keep up my cyber communication :)

The past week held many precious moments ..... I continue to enjoy my Australian partner, Cara .....together we chug along on the bus in the mornings, still often walking home in the afternoons reviewing our days with the children, sharing humorous tidbits along the way. I would not have expected to care for these children as much as I have come to do in such a very short time...... lovely Leahanna, so eager to please Korore, competent Mariannah, quiet sweet Daniel, "tries hard" William, outspoken Daniel, kind Taumaru, sweet sweet Habasaloma, "take-charge" Mary, organized Martha, and her equally organized friend Makua, hardworking studious Thomas who always wants to COMPLETELY finish his list, happy and quick as a whip Albert, sweetest little fellow Farearii, little Trainees who has come a long way in learning English, just during my short stay.... this is her first year in school and she is nine!!, quiet little Mahina, quick-minded young Travel, bossy but sweet little Terangi, "much improved on the attention span Aporo", shy but gaining in confidence Temarama, "take charge" Warren, Isabella who is slowing getting used to her new school, dear sweet George who must have the happiest smile on this island and he has lots of competition for that!! I think I finally understand why two of my friends, Karen and Celia love teaching so much!! As I have mentioned many times, Cook Islanders are a rare lot.....friendly, kind, giving and above all else, loving....the apple in the form of their children, doesn't fall far from that tree of goodness. To my delight, I discovered our teachers have a really cool sense of humor! Despite initial shyness with us they have gradually opened up to Cara and I and share many stories of their own lives, often intermingled with much laughter and joking. I had opportunity for a personal experience of those big hearts last week.....During a poignant moment of sadness and homesickness for my family last week, I quite unexpectedly teared up during lunch break. Dear Mrs. Tearotoa noticed this immediately, and proceeded to quote me a little poem (almost verbatim by the way, as I had read this same one on the internet sometime in the last year and remembered bits and pieces of it ...... she has a fine command of the English language as do all the teachers at Takitumu School). It is a lovely poem on "The Tears of a Woman" and well worth reading ..... google it and you'll probably find it. She came to school with several copies printed for the ladies the next morning and proudly gave me one! It was a kind gesture from the heart and warmed me to the core. When we hugged later, it was with an intensity shared only with those we love. The warm and caring arms of Mrs. T, as we call her, were a welcome remedy for homesickness!! Quite remarkable really, how quickly some people are able to share of themselves and how kind they can be. During the course of the last week, I received many notes from, what I have come to think of as "my other children", during spelling reviews, with "I love you Seija" written quite neatly intermingled with the spelling words.....so sweet......and here is one for the records "Seija, you are my Queen" ...... Hee hee, Brian, are you listening???!! :) The teachers, Ruta, Rimaa, Eitiare, Mariannah, Mrs. Tearotoa, Mr. Pepe and the principal, Engia, and her office assistant Marama and librarian Moe, all seemingly appreciate our help ..... they get to be the strict disciplinarians and have the harder job....Cara and I have the pleasure of having a spot of fun with the children, with just a dash of discipline thrown in! It is a nice mix for the children. I will have a few more weeks here to reflect on my first volunteer journey, return to my status as a tourist, get back to long leisurely walks again, and just enjoy the beauty of the ocean......I have moved to a lovely spot further around the island, and will be waking up to the water at my feet every morning and the sunset in the evening at my doorstep.......more later on our last week and the special day in honour of Cara and I, held at the school yesterday..... my love to everyone, Kia Manuia, Seija xo

2 comments:

  1. We all miss you too! We had a wonderful weekend- Dad's golf tournament went perfectly, and everyone had a great time. We had a trophy for the best scoring team, door prizes, a closest to the pin award, and lots of fun all around. Dinner was great- prime rib, and then today I got out to Canmore for a hike with Johanna and Amy.

    Rob and Dexter say hello, talk soon,
    love Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the tournament went off well Sarah....email me the scoop on details when you get a chance....Susan sent me an iphone photo of Dad, Tim & Jordan from the day....who won all the awards??? All wonderful here, give Dexter a tummy scratch from me....Rob too if he needs one :) miss you, love mom xxxooo

    ReplyDelete