Saturday, June 12, 2010

Moving into the rhythm of children.....

We chug along to our little schools every morning, Cara and I to Takitumu Primary, Merideth to a Christian High School on her own, Sue Ellen and Jody to another primary, the name of which escapes my memory ahhh, Rutaki School I believe it is!! ....... the day passes in a beautiful blur of little Polynesian faces ......and yeah!!! ..... I now actually remember all their names (examples: Tarangi, Tangaii, Aporo, Ngamaa, Tui, Leahanna, Therisee, and oh yes, a Daniel, Warren, Grace, Albert as well :) ....... so eager to please us ..... getting through the spelling lists are certainly one of the goals, but really, it is all about connecting with the children, making all of us feel comfortable about sharing a little bit of our lives ..... in between the tedium of lists ..... I create all manner of silly fun sentences with the day's words, just to hear the kids laugh.....truly a tonic for any soul. The school will be involved in a spelling competition of sorts at the end of June, so our work is helping the teachers, Rimaa, Ruta, Mrs. Tetiara, and our principal, Ngnia, (pronounced Enya) immensely. Global Volunteers, has, as one of their main philosophies, a desire to spread peace and goodwill throughout the world and with these children, it is easy as pie! At the end of our day, Cara and I often opt to walk back to Kii Kii Motel.....it is a short twenty minute walk and despite the heat, preferable to the bus :) Dodging the roosters and chickens along the roadsides is the only hazard :) ..... just kidding .... sort of! We gather as a group at the end of the school day to share our experiences, often over a local beer ..... bought from our New Zealand host Debi, whose family owns the brewery! Enjoyed a most delicious Indian feast at Raviz (complete with a local Maori singer who entertained us....voice of an angel) last night to celebrate our week of work, and we joined up with Pauline and Harry who own the Kii Kii, their grandaughter Rachel and guest Murray. Rachel is 21, fresh out of college and working as a reporter for the local paper for this year to gain some experience in her field ..... Pauline is a native Cook Islander and has lived here most of her life ..... Rachel is quite familiar with the island, having visited many times from California where her family (Pauline's son and wife now live.....who are now Americans). She is a rather adventurous young lady, to say the least, especially for one so young (reminded me totally of my own Sarah ...... I shared stories of Sarah's first adventures as a young 18 year old in Ireland) ....... Rachel has already volunteered in Vietnam at a school (just for the experience a few years ago!!) It was a delight to chat with her, sharing common interests as we do! We paid "no never mind" to the age difference........not in the slightest like your average American young adult.....I told her I would post a picture of her and play matchmaker for our son Tim!! :) Look for it next week ..... It is Saturday and the sun is shining.....just finished a walk through the Saturday market...And oh my, how many "hi Seijas" I heard as I walked along, the children running to give me a hug as they approached. I stopped to chat and visit with the parents and teachers I have met this week. It is the charm and warmth of a small community....wonderful in every way! Most certainly where EVERYONE goes on a Saturday morning! ..... The stalls are lined with fresh veggies, fruits galore, breakfast fixings, fruit smoothies (enjoyed a delicious papaya one) and the usual assortment of "stuff"..... clothing, pareos, black pearls strung into jewelry of every description, shell artifacts of all kinds (I purchased a shell handle straw fan for church tomorrow ..... noticed them in church last Sunday and wished I had had one!) .... local music playing in the background....even a sermon was being broadcast at one of the stalls....they are a rather religious sort here and although the island is not highly populated, there are churches everywhere. I started to walk to town, and of course, as I was on my own, was offered a ride by the first car that passed me!! This is so very common on the island and as I have said many many times, they are a generous people and kind.........I accepted due to a rather nasty blister I seem to have developed on one foot........Marta invited me to her Bennai Brith (totally mispelled, but what the heck, I gave it a go :) service tomorrow so may take her up on it....the other ladies have all opted to fly to Aitutaki for the weekend, a small but stunning little snorkelling island about an hour's flight away. I am going there the end of June, so opted out of paying airfare twice!! Very quiet after they left this morning :) Off to the beach for the afternoon.....Kia Orana, Seija xo Love to all.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are meeting some amazing people! I can't wait to see more pictures. I'm glad that volunteering is going so well there- the kids sound so sweet!

    We had a great family picnic today- beautiful weather, and everyone had a lovely time. Jenn and Steve have tons of pictures, coming soon :)
    love Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Seija

    Enjoyed your latest comments. We just got home from Church as well and Susan & boys are coming over for lunch. Then we are all off to Andrew's soccer Game.
    Get us in the "World Soccer Spirit".
    I am happy that you seem pleased in living out your "passion".

    Take care, Pat & David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Seija, Every other day I check your blogg for the latest news and pictures . . . I'm so happy for you . . . remember to do your journaling every day . . . there is a book in the works ... watch out Eat, Pray, Love . . . here comes "Live, Laugh, Love - the wanderings of Seija's Gypsy's Spirit" . . . I miss you my friend, but am so happy that you are living your dream!

    ReplyDelete