Saturday, December 18, 2010

I have been transported to a red rose place of beatitude!















































































As I turned the corner into the Siq, my eyes clouded over and realized I was crying ..... caught myself totally by surprise, wondering "what the heck"???...... I have been on such an even keel emotionally, almost to the point where I felt I was finally heading into that blissful territory of Buddhist-like emotional balance and calm. :) ......... The beauty of this red rose canyon astounded ....... I wondered if I was having some bizzare but strangely, very serene past life recall ..... felt quite wonderful really! ..... it was early morning and other tourists, mostly still asleep ........ I basically had the canyon to myself with only a scattering of others, most of us solo travelers, respecting each other's desire for silence in this place that feels so holy ..... it is a powerful energy that emanates from these cliffs, canyons, tombs and temples of Petra. I had opted out of having a guide for my first time into the canyons ........ I really love feeling a place in silence before learning the history ..... A three day pass, allowed for leisurely exploring ...... spotting a rock ledge, I sat down to savor that first Petra moment ..... Exploring further, I dicovered many little paths leading to various tombs, and beautiful rock outcrops ....... eventually, a peaceful place for meditation and quiet reflection presented itself. I was happy that the morning prayer call had been so early :) ..... other tourists did not arrive for a few more hours ..... it was lovely!! ...... I doubt pictures can possibly capture the essence of Petra but I hope you enjoy my attempt :) Some places truly are better experienced first hand ........ Having always preferred the creations of God's paintbrush ...... creations millions of years in the making ....... aaaah, mountains .......... ever my respite from wordly concerns .......... these mountains are every bit as beautiful as my own Rockies .... mesmerizing, even. A state of grace takes hold ........ I feel very much at home in the ancient red rock canyons of Petra .....

No comments:

Post a Comment