Saturday, December 18, 2010

Wadi Musa and Petra Magic in Jordan


























































































A quick flight to Amman from Cairo, followed by a long two hour drive through sandy desert dunes, I arrive in a town, so charming from the hilltop, that I had to catch my breath again! Wadi Musa covers the hillsides right into the valley below ...... at the base of the canyons, temples, tombs and monasteries of the ancient Nabataen city of Petra. My hotel, literally at the front gate! I opted to stay put for a day or so, giving myself ample time to absorb and revel in the many magical Egyptian moments of the past two weeks. Middle East history is vast ....... I am touching but a tiny speck of the landscape, internally and externally, biblical and beyond. Waking up to the somewhat haunting sounds of the prayer call in Cairo a few weeks ago, I felt transported back to 1975 and Kuwait ..... Brian and I had lived next door to a mosque ...... I had no idea how much the prayer call resonates within me ...... surely a more beautiful wake-up call than most ....... a reminder to give thanks to God throughout our day ........ here I am in Wadi Musa, Jordan and the call is clear as a church bell :) ...... Al humdu l-illah (Praise be to God)

2 comments:

  1. My dear friend Seija . . . this is truly amazing. I thank you again for sharing your wonderful journey with us. We miss you but know that we will see you soon! Many blessings to you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda...truly awe-inspiring photos you have taken. This is a great novel I am reading...with pictures to bring us even closer to what you are experiencing! Great shots...did you take a photography course before you left?
    We are thinking about you always...Love, Maija

    ReplyDelete