Saturday, April 16, 2011

Facebook .....


















I knew I had volunteered to help with English here in Hungary but must say, was a bit surprised at the direction that lofty goal veered into one fine morning .... Andrea had left me alone with her grade 7 English class as she had meetings to attend at city hall .... the students were to be working on a power point presentation on aspects of air travel on school laptops. As I walked around the classroom, I had to reprimand more than a few ..... facebook or checking out latest you tube videos seemed a top priority ..... kids will be kids wherever they live! ........ At one point as I made the rounds, the work of a student diligently working on her project amazed me and an "Oh my God, that is awesome" ..... slipped out ..... everyone turned to me and one boy shyly asked "is that what OMG means on facebook?" ..... they had wondered .... LOL followed ..... too much fun and so it was, I, who barely ever texts or uses facebook, hence usually have no clue what the abbreviations are myself, end up introducing them to children in small town Hungary ..... I did spell out the full words, so the class did in actual fact learn six new English words, well, sort of new :)! Aahh, justifications ..... Probably would not get the approval of Global Volunteers or the Liszt Ferenc School Board :) ..... So, by now, undoubtedly, all six and seven grade students in Hodmezovarsarhely know the meaning of OMG and LOL ........ LOL :)

1 comment: