Thursday, April 28, 2011

Winding down in Debrecen and Hajduszobozlo.....















































































































On my first morning in Debrecen, I was luxuriating and lingering in one of the most comfy beds I have slept in, for many months, listening to the chiming church bells in the distance, it occured to me how many different "wake-up calls" I have experienced this past year. Not once have I missed that high pitch buzz of an alarm clock :) .... more organic to hear the randy roosters in Rarotonga although perhaps 4 am was borderline early! .... or the waves and wind storms in New Zealand, or Sydney's chiming church bells .... although the freak storms that hit Okinawa, causing pelting rain, strong winds and crashing waves for two days was a bit frightening to wake up to, wondering if I was about to experience my first hurricane! .... from storms to Mongolia's surreal, oh so vast, open air silence of the Steppes, (that view and the silence is one of my favourites) and on to Vietnam's incessant hullabaloo of a zillion motorbikes; the somewhat mystical mosque calls to prayer in Jordan, Dubai and Egypt, India's early morning (and indeed all day!) chaotic cacophony blew my mind!! .... but I loved it nonetheless and miss it to this day ..... I woke to more church bells and birds a chirping in Greece, together creating quite the morning symphony and with spring in full bloom by the time I made it to Hungary, more birds! ..... awesome that I have finally slowed down enough that such simple pleasures as the behaviour of birds fascinates me :) .... there was a large beech tree, (I think it was beech), by my window in Hodmezovarsarhely .... as I lay in bed, planning my day's classes, I would listen and watch as the birds provided my morning entertainment, flitting about, cheeping and chattering .......... I was perpetually late for breakfast and Milt and Rick thought I was sleeping in! Ha! .... wonder what will be my wake up call in Hamburg? My niece Kellie perhaps? .....

No comments:

Post a Comment