Monday, April 18, 2011

Faces of my adult class .... more wind up party with teachers at Hotel Fama

A few more pictures from small party we hosted for teachers at Hotel Fama ... the teachers presented us with little gift bags of local handicrafts in appreciation of our help ... the kids had been presenting me with their own various drawings all week .... one child shyly came up to me one morning, handed me a huge chocolate bar and a heart note ..... so sweet :)

























Daily breakfast with Milt and Rick at Fama ... will surely miss this cozy corner start to our days :)








The Hungarians are an artistic lot and the myriad of 'statues with flair' scattered about in every small town and city attest to that :)















The Communist Museum (Emlek Pont) is a bit of a strange site in Hodmezovarsarhely ... This view is near the front entrance to the museum ..The bottom half of the soldiers are inside the musem .... as I said, strange art! However, what do I know?! ... this is a fairly new museum and has won awards in Hungary .. innovative and artistic people indeed!

















Two cheerful students ... Julia and Aranka! Aranka (on the left) is easily, the happiest person I have ever met!!.... she comes to class literally singing!!! ....... Irish songs!! ..... her daughter and Irish son-in-law live in Ireland where she and her husband travel frequently for visits, hence the Irish singing ... songs such as Molly Malone, Irish Eyes etc. ..... :)
I can't articulate what a joy it has been hearing those songs again .... transports me to my own childhood choir practice! .... I know I picked the lucky straw with this class ..... helping beginner students with English pronunciation should not be this much fun!


























A rather stern Marika in front .... sadly, she lasted only one class ...... I did not have much success drawing her out, but Istvan, Nora, Eniko and Sandor stayed for all my classes .... :) (in picture) as did Aranka, Kinga, and Ggyongi (Gi for short ..... just try pronoucing her name! :) .... Gi is Sandor's wife. As is often the case in daily condensed bursts of time together, we bonded and I must say, I rather had a bounce to my step more often than not, no matter how exhausted I may have been, as I walked to evening classes .... as my stay here nears an end, I continue to count my many many blessings ..... I adore the ambiance of small town Hodmezovarsarhely, but it is the people, as anywhere, that make my day ... the connections, the sharing, the authentic communicating ..... Hungarians may take awhile to feel comfortable enough to warm up to strangers, but when they finally make up their mind, they open up and show the delightful personalities that hide behind the reserve ..... they are a highly intelligent, musical, artistic people, and I must say, I felt guilty even calling this "teaching" ..... life continues to hold so many people miracles and learning experiences ..... viszontlatasra

No comments:

Post a Comment